Skip to content
Operations Management in Manufacturing and Service Industries
- Define operations management, and discuss the role of the operations manager in a manufacturing company.
- Describe the decisions made in planning the production process in a manufacturing company.
- Describe four major types of facility layouts: process, product, cellular, and fixed position.
- Identify the activities undertaken by the operations manager in overseeing the production process in a manufacturing company.
- Explain how to create and use both PERT and Gantt charts.
- Explain how manufacturing companies use technology to produce and deliver goods in an efficient, cost-effective manner.
- List the characteristics that distinguish service operations from manufacturing operations.
- Describe the decisions made in planning the product delivery process in a service company.
- Identify the activities undertaken to manage operations in a service organization.
- Explain how manufacturing and service companies alike use total quality management and outsourcing to provide value to customers.